- Ph.D. Candidate in Music Technology, (in progress). New York University, Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Social Sciences. Committee Chair: M. Mary Farbood.
- M.A. in Music Technology 2011, McGill University, 2011. Thesis: Quantifying Audience Responses to Music: methods for analyzing collections of emotional experience time series. Supervisor: Stephen McAdams.
- B. Sc. in Mathematics, Honours 2008, McGill University, Faculty of Science.
- B. Mus. in Music Theory, Honours 2008, McGill University, Schulich School of Music.
Teaching & Advising
- Instructor, Psychology of Music 2014, 2016. Department of Music and Performing Arts Professions, Steinhardt School of Music, NYU
- Instructor of record for graduate-level seminar on Psychology of music for three sessions.
- Designed course content and evaluation for normal semester course and intensive summer session
- Incorporated scientific practices such as peer review and experiment design.
- Statistics and Experimental Design Consulting, Department of Music and Performing Arts Professions, Steinhardt School of Music, NYU. Supported graduate and Master’s Thesis research with instruction and feedback. (2011-2016)
- Summer school on The Dynamics of Music and Language, Center for Human Adaptive Systems and Environments (CHASE) and University of California (Merced). (2014)
- Part time RA in Music Perception and Cognition Lab, Schulich School of Music, McGill University, Supervisor, S. McAdams. Topic: Behavioural and physiological response time series analysis, music analysis. (2010-2011)
- NSERC Undergraduate Science Research Assistant, Mathematics and Statistics, Science Faculty, McGill University, Supervisor: T. Humphries. Topic: Analyzing and modeling the dynamics of linear state dependent differential delay equations. (2008)
- Full time Summer RA in Music Perception and Cognition Lab, Schulich School of Music, McGill University, Supervisor: S. McAdams. Topic: Continuous rating data analysis, music analysis. (2007)
- Upham, F. & McAdams, S. (In Press) Activity Analysis and Coordination in Continuous Responses to Music. Music Perception. (Author version pdf)
- Farbood, M. M., & Upham, F. (2013). Interpreting expressive performance through listener judgments of musical tension. Frontiers in psychology, 4:998.
- Humphries, A. R., DeMasi, O., Magpantay, F. M., & Upham, F. (2012). Dynamics of a delay differential equation with multiple state dependent delays. Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems A.
- Upham, F. (2012). Limits on the application of statistical correlations to continuous response data. In E. Cambouropoulos, C. Tsougras, P. Mavromatis, & K. Pastiades (Eds.), Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition (pp. 1037-1041).
- Knight, T., Upham, F., & Fujinaga, I. (2011). The potential for automatic assessment of trumpet tone quality. In ISMIR (pp. 573-578).
- 2017, The extra(ordinary) sex lives of fanfiction readers, Fan Studies Conference 2017, University of Huddersfeild, Huddersfeild, UK
- 2016, Breathing in Music: Measuring and Marking Time, Making Time in Music conference, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK.
- 2016, Deviations in Quiet Breathing during Music Listening, 14th International Conference of Music Perception and Cognition, San Francisco, CA, USA.
- 2016, Breathing while listening to music, Music and Movement Workshop. New York University, New York NY, USA (Talk)
- 2016, Respiratory alignment to music in repeated response case studies, NEMCOG, Harvard University, Cambridge MS, USA (Poster)
- 2015, Music for doing, 2015 Meeting of the Society of Music Perception and Cognition, Vanderbilt University, Nashville TS, USA (Poster)
- 2015, Stephen McAdams & Finn Upham, Effects of previous knowledge about a piece of music on continuous ratings of musical resemblance, 2015 Meeting of the Society of Music Perception and Cognition, Vanderbilt University, Nashville TS, USA (Talk)
- 2015 Brian McFee & Finn Upham, Interpreting musical taste through playlists, 2015 Meeting of the Society of Music Perception and Cognition, Vanderbilt University, Nashville TS, USA (Talk)
- 2014 Measuring listeners’ emotionally expressive responses to music, Seventh International Conference of Students of Systematic Musicology, Goldsmiths University, London, UK (Talk)
- 2014 Listener respiration: Active, Attentive, or Inattentive, 13th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition, Seoul, South Korea (Poster)
- 2014 Reframing emotions and music, 13th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition, Seoul, South Korea (Talk)
- 2013 Body and breath entrainment in the solo response project, 2013 Meeting of the Society of Music Perception and Cognition, Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada. (Talk)
- 2013 Mary Fabood & Finn Upham, Coordination in musical tension and liking ratings of scrambled music, 2013 Meeting of the Society of Music Perception and Cognition, Toronto, Canada. (Talk)
- 2013 Publishing practices in music cognition: Replication studies and null results (Symposium on replication and null results), 2013 Meeting of the Society of Music Perception and Cognition, Toronto, Canada. (Talk)
- 2013 Rocking out in a chair: Physiological signal processing to detect dancing activity in a seated listener, CogMIR, Toronto, Canada. (Poster)
- 2013 How and when I feel: Coordination of continuous emotional responses from a single subject, 3rd International Conference on Music & Emotion, Jyväskulä, Finland. (Talk)
- 2013 Respiration entrainment to music and spoken word in a single participant. CRBLM Inaugural symposium on Music and Language. Montreal, Canada. (Poster)
- 2013 Danceability and Head-nodding as Measured by Detrended Fluctuation Analysis. Meeting of the Northeast Music Informatics Special Interest Group, The Echonest, Boston, MA. (Talk)
- 2012 Many ways of hearing: Clustering continuous responses to music, 12th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition, Thessaloniki, Greece. (Poster)
- 2012 Online learning of Emotion Rating Changes using Musical Features as Experts. Second meeting of CogMIR, Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada. (Poster)
- 2011 Finn Upham & Stephen McAdams, Piece vs Performance: Comparing Coordination of Audiencesʼ Physiological Responses to Two Performances of Arcadeltʼs “Il bianco e dolce cigno”. 2011 Meeting of the Society of Music Perception and Cognition, Rochester, NY. (Talk)
- 2010 Finn Upham & Stephen McAdams, Towards an Audience Model of Listening Experience. 11th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition, Seattle, WA. (Talk)
Grants and Fellowships
- 2013-2015 NSERC, Postgraduate Doctoral Scholarship
- 2012-2015 Steinhardt Doctoral Fellowship
- 2008 NSERC Undergraduate Research Award
- 2013-2016 Coordinator for the MARL talk series, organising 12-24 invited talks a year to music technology students and researchers of NYU.
- 2014-2016 Contributing member of the Three Patch Podcast: participating in, recording, and producing audio segments of discussions, interviews, and comedy pieces for a monthly fandom podcast.
- 2009-2011 Volunteer Mechanic and Collective member of The Flat, McGill University’s cooperative bike shop.
- 2006-2007 Vice president (University Affairs) for the Student’s Society of McGill University.